The following is a "healthy food hot list" consisting of the 28 food that will give you the biggest nutritional bang for you caloric buck, as well as decrease your risk for deadly illnesses like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Along with each description is a suggestion as to how to incorporate these power-foods into your diet.
1. Apricots: Beta-carotene, which helps prevent free-radical damage and protect the eyes. The body also turns beta-carotene into vitamin A, which may help ward off some cancers, especially of the skin.
2. Avocados: Oleic acid, an unsaturated fat that helps lower overall cholesterol and raise levels of HDL, plus a good dose of fiber.
3. Raspberries: Ellagic acid, which helps stall cancer-cell growth. These berries are also packed with vitamin C and are high in fiber, which helps prevent high cholesterol and heart disease.
4. Cantaloupe: Vitamin C (117mg in half a melon, almost twice the recommended daily dose) and beta-carotene - both powerful antioxidants that help protect cells from free-radical damage.
5. Cranberry Juice: Helps fight bladder infections by preventing harmful bacteria from growing.
6. Tomato: Lycopene, one of the strongest carotenoids, acts as an antioxidant. Research shows that tomatoes may cut the risk of bladder, stomach and colon cancers in half if eaten daily.
7. Raisins: These little gems are a great source of iron, which helps the blood transport oxygen and which many women are short on - women, consider this especially during your period.
8. Figs: A good source of potassium and fiber, figs also contain vitamin B6, which is responsible for producing mood-boosting serotonin, lowering cholesterol and preventing water retention. The Pill depletes B6, so if you use this method of birth control, make sure to get extra B6 in your diet.
9. Lemons and Limes: Limonene, furocoumarins and vitamin C, all of which help prevent cancer.
10. Onions: Quercetin is one of the most powerful flavonoids (natural plant antioxidants). Studies show it helps protect against cancer.
11. Artichokes: These odd-looking vegetables contain silymarin, an antioxidant that helps prevent skin cancer, plus fiber to help control cholesterol.
12. Ginger: Gingerols may help reduce queasiness; other compounds may help ward off migraines and arthritis pain by blocking inflammation-causing prostaglandins.
13. Broccoli: Indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane, which help protect against breast cancer. Broccoli also has lots of vitamin C and beta-carotene.
14. Spinach: Lutein and zeaxanthin, carotenoids that help fend off macular degeneration, a major cause of blindness in older people. Plus, studies show this green fountain of youth may help reverse some signs of aging.
15. Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage): Brassinin, which some research suggests may help prevent breast tumors, plus indoles and isothiocyanates, which lower levels of estrogen, make this vegetable a double-barreled weapon against breast cancer.
16. Squash (Butternut, Pumpkin, Acorn): Winter squash has huge amounts of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which may help protect against endometrial cancer.
17. Watercress and Arugula: Phenethyl isothiocyanate, which, along with beta-carotene and vitamins C and E, may help keep cancer cells at bay.
18. Garlic: The sulfur compounds that give garlic its pungent flavor can also lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol, lower blood pressure and even reduce your risk of stomach and colon cancer.
Grains, Beans, Dairy and Nuts
19. Quinoa: A half cup of cooked quinoa has 5 grams of protein, more than any other grain, plus iron, riboflavin and magnesium.
20. Wheat Germ: A tablespoon gives you about 7 percent of your daily magnesium, which helps prevent muscle cramps; it is also a good source of vitamin E.
21. Lentils: Isoflavones, which may inhibit estrogen-promoted breast cancers, plus fiber for heart health and an impressive 9 grams of protein per half cup.
22. Peanuts: Studies show that peanuts or other nuts (which contain mostly unsaturated "good" fat) can lower your heart-disease risk by over 20 percent.
23. Pinto Beans: A half cup has more than 25 percent of your daily requirement of folate, which helps protect against heart disease and reduces the risk of birth defects.
24. Yogurt: Bacteria in active-culture yogurt helps prevent yeast infections; calcium strengthens bones.
25. Skim Milk: Riboflavin (a.k.a. vitamin B2) is important for good vision and along with vitamin A might help improve eczema and allergies. Plus, you get calcium and vitamin D, too.
26. Shellfish (Clams, Mussels): Vitamin B12 to support nerve and brain function, plus iron and hard-to-get minerals like magnesium and potassium.
27. Salmon: Cold-water fish like salmon, mackerel and tuna are the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce the risk of cardiac disease.
28. Crab: A great source of vitamin B12 and immunity-boosting zinc. The "crab" in sushi is usually made from fish; buy it canned instead and make your own crab cakes.
Thursday, June 2, 2011
The benefits of maintaining healthy hormone levels go well beyond reproduction. Your hormone levels are important for your overall feeling of well-being, vitality, and stamina.
Tribulus is an herbal supplement made form the highest quality of raw herb, Tribulus terrestris, and the correct part of the plant, the leaves. It contains guaranteed levels of an important compound known as protodioscin, which has been shown to clinically to support healthy hormone production and reproductive function in both men and women.
Clinical trials suggest that to be effective, Tribulus extract must contain substantial levels of protodioscin. Only the leaves of the plant grown in Central Europe contain this important compound. Many products contain the wrong part of the plant, the fruit, or contain Tribulus from other parts of the world. These products do not contain this very important compound.
- Support normal sex hormone production in men and women
- Support normal reproductive function in both men and women
- Provide relief from the discomfort associated with menopause
- Maintain testosterone at normal, healthy levels
- Support normal ovulation
- Promote an overall feeling of well-being
- Support physical endurance, vitality and stamina
Take charge of your life and get the hormonal support you need!